This is one of my favorite desserts that my mom makes! Honey layer cake (or Romanian prajitura cu miere) is one of her specialties, and whenever she asks me what to make, I usually always tell her to make this dessert because it's so good! So when mom came to visit us at the beginning of November, I couldn't help but ask her to make it with me. And today, I get to share her recipe with you all!
Now about the filling....just trust me on this one. You might be scratching your head wondering: "what is she thinking...making the filling with cream of wheat?" Again, just trust me on this one. The whole cake just works! The combination of honey cake with cream of wheat filling and jam is simply delicious!
Also, make sure you allow the cake to sit at room temperature overnight. It tastes better the following day after the flavors absorb into and moisten the cake layers.
Food for My Soul: "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26
Honey Layer Cake (Prajitura cu Miere)
127 gm (1 stick) unsalted butter
170 gm (1/2 cup) honey
200 gm (1 cup) granulated sugar
1 tbsp baking soda
2 tsp vinegar
600 gm (5 cups) all-purpose flour
2 tsp cocoa
1. In a medium bowl, combine butter, honey, eggs and sugar. Place over a pot of simmering water and stir with a spatula until mixture thickens, about 6-8 minutes. Take off heat.
2. Combine baking soda and vinegar in a small bowl. When it starts to foam, add to the honey mixture.
3. When completely cooled, add flour and cocoa; mix thoroughly. The batter will turn into a dough.
4. Divide dough into 4 portions. Roll each portion into a 9x13 inch rectangle, about 1/4 inch thick. Bake onto the back of an 11x15 rimmed baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray for 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees F.
2 cups milk
200 gm (1 cup) sugar
2 tbsp honey
80 gm (1/2 cup) cream of wheat (farina)
2 sticks unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups jam of choice (raspberry, strawberry, prune, etc)
Confectioner's sugar, for sprinkling
1. In a medium-sized saucepan over low heat, cook milk, sugar and honey until sugar is dissolved and milk begins to boil.
2. Add cream of wheat to milk slowly, stirring constantly to prevent clumps from forming. Cook, stirring, until it thickens.
3. Take off heat and allow to cool completely. Then place in a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; add vanilla and butter, and beat until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
1. Spread filling over the first cake layer. Top with second cake layer, then spread jam. Top with the third cake layer, and spread with filling. Top with the last cake layer. Allow cake to sit at room temperature overnight (helps to moisten the cake). Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar before serving.
(Adapted from my mom)